Nothing beats the quality craftsmanship and smell of fresh, fine, natural leather. While Nylon and Kydex retain a uniform shape and are easy to maintain, any honest gunslinger will tell you: the look and feel just isn’t the same. Leather holsters are generally much more comfortable and quieter than synthetic holsters. A premium-quality leather holster should last a lifetime, as long as it is well-maintained.
For more than four generations, 1791 Gunleather artisans have been handcrafting fine holsters that snugly and reliably hold a personal firearm in a casing you’ll be proud to own. You may notice your holster feels stiff and tight out of the box. It may be difficult to seat or draw your handgun initially. If drawing and replacing the gun a few times doesn’t do the trick, then you’ll need to break the holster in to find a perfected fit.
How To Break-In A Leather Holster
Use a blocking technique to stretch the leather just enough to get a smooth draw. Place your pistol in a thick plastic bag. You can use a shopping bag or a Ziploc freezer bag. Some people use two sheets of wax paper (with the waxed side toward the leather). Wedge the gun down into the holster, and let it sit for at least 24 hours. Remove the bag and test the draw without the bag.
What NOT To Do:
We do NOT recommend using a lubricant like spray silicone or Leather Lightning to grease up the inside of your holster. You don’t want a gun so slippery it’ll slide out of the holster at any given moment. Beyond that, you don’t want to tarnish the finish of your firearm. All our interiors are carefully hand-finished to protect your pistol’s bluing.
Want A Leather Holster That’ll Last A Lifetime?
1791 Gunleather holsters are made to last forever. A little TLC can go a long way in preserving the quality.
Leather Holster Care Do’s:
- Use warm water and glycerin soap or Galco’s Leather Lotion to remove impurities with a smooth finish.
- Most leather holsters should only be cleaned with soap once every three to four months.
- You may clean your holster with Bick 4 Conditioner or Fiebing’s Foaming Saddle Soap very sparingly.
- Wipe off sweat, dust, dirt, or blood with a soft rag.
- Stubborn dirt or stains can be gently scrubbed with a soft-bristled toothbrush.
- Maintain a layer of clothing between you and the holster to minimize perspiration.
- If the leather has dampened, place the holster in a dry place to allow for natural air-drying.
- Store your leather holster in a cool, dry location, wrapped in a soft cotton cloth or in the original box.
- Minor cosmetic scratches will come off by rubbing olive, baby, or saddle oil into the scratch with a Q-tip.
- Apply rubbing alcohol in a circular motion to minimize the appearance of deeper scratches.
Leather Holster Care Don’ts:
- Do not leave your holster on the car dash or expose it to direct sunlight for extended periods of time.
- Do not store your holster in the trunk of the car, an outdoor shed, the garage, or an attic.
- Do not submerge your holster in water or any other liquid.
- Do not use mink oil, Neat’s oil, or leather conditioner, which will soften and distort the molding.
- Do not dry your holster with a hair dryer, radiator, oven, or laundry machine.
- Do not store your holster within reach of your dog who may mistake it for a rawhide chew.
Lifetime Leather Holster Return Policy
We want you to be 100% satisfied with your purchase. All 1791 Gunleather holsters come with a Lifetime Warranty against manufacturer defects not related to normal wear-and-tear. Valid warranty claims are eligible for a replacement item, store credit, or a refund.
Please note that most of our holsters were designed for specific makes, models, and sizes. If, for any reason, you’re worried you purchased an incorrect size, contact us within two weeks of receipt to request a return authorization at no additional cost to you.
Be prepared to provide your order number, contact details, and a reason for the return. Once the return is approved by our customer care team, please ship the item in the original packing with the original packing slip to 1724 NW 21 St. in Miami, FL 33142. Returns and replacements usually take 5-10 days to make it back to us, 3-5 days for us to process the return, and 5-10 days for your bank to process the refund request or for the new holster to ship back to you.